One of my favorite things to do around the holidays is to snuggle up on the couch with a glass of wine, or a hot cup of tea and watch movies. On any old day you would normally find me watching a Lifetime movie, but since we are approaching Halloween, I need to get my fill in of some of my favorite fall flicks. I’m a pretty big scaredy-cat, therefore I don’t really lean towards horror movies…I’m that person curled up in a ball covering my eyes yet constantly peeking through my fingers. I still get nightmares thinking about that one time I watched Jeepers Creepers. I decided to do a round up for you of my favorite not so scary Halloween movies in case you too like a good wholesome classic, or a belly full of laughter this fall holiday.
NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN MOVIES
- Hocus Pocus – This is an ultimate classic. I feel like it’s not fall without watching the 3 Sanderson sister witches.
- Ghostbusters – I love this movie because it’s only a tiny bit spooky and a whole lot of goofy. Plus there are two versions you can watch, the original and the remake!
- Addams Family – I grew up watching this show on Nick at Night, what’s not to love about a weird, spooky family to get you into the Halloween spirit.
- Rocky Horror – This movie has such a following since it started on stage. You could even get a group together, get dressed up and go watch it live somewhere.
- Beetlejuice – Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!! A bit wacky and full of laughs, this movie isn’t too creepy to watch as a family. Boys will especially appreciate the gross parts, LOL.
- Edward Scissorhands – Johnny Depp has been one of my favorites for a long time. I love this because it’s a bit creepy, but also a romance.
- Teen Witch – Witches and Halloween go hand in hand, except this teen isn’t a creepy witch. You will find yourself laughing along with this cute comedy.
- The Witches – This movie is based on the book by Roald Dahl about a boy who comes across a witches convention and takes them down! It definitely keeps you smiling.
- Halloween Town – This is a really cute movie about siblings who’s family is from a town called Halloween Town which witches and other creatures really exist and aren’t evil except for a select few. I watched all of the Halloween Town movies on the Disney Channel.
- Escape from Witch Mountain – Another classic movie and not just for Halloween. This one is also good for the whole family.
ANIMATED HALLOWEEN MOVIES
- Corpse Bride – I bought this movie because I loved the Nightmare Before Xmas and it doesn’t disappoint. A mix of Halloween and romance, plus great for the kids.
- Casper – I personally love the cartoon original. This is a great one to watch with the kids and there is the animated series as well.
- The Great Pumpkin – This is the perfect Charlie Brown movie to watch before Thanksgiving.
- Hotel Transylvania – My kids love all three of these. You could watch them all and have a movie marathon!
- Nightmare Before Xmas – Technically you could watch this one for Halloween, or Christmas. You will find yourself singing along with this one.