One of my favorite things about the holidays are all the delicious smells. Growing up my great grandmother would make mulled wine for any holiday party, or when we came over for Christmas dinner. I remember the scent walking into the house, she made the whole place smell like a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, and oranges. There is something about the smell of mulled wine, that is just so cozy, and that’s what I want you to feel this holiday season.
When the scent fills the whole house, it’s like an all natural Bath & Body Works air freshener. It eventually fades, and then you will just have to make another batch of this delicious mulled wine.
If you want to easily whip up batch, after batch of this mulled wine. Then I suggest you keep a batch of mulling spices on hand. Yes, you could make your own, but I just purchase them off Amazon. I will also include in the recipe what to use if you don’t have mulling spices on hand. I decided to make good use of my Instant Pot this season and include this recipe, but don’t fret…this can easily be made on the stove, or in a crockpot.
If you want to make this a tad stronger, then I suggest adding a bourbon, brandy, or favorite spiced rum. I used some bourbon whiskey in mine. Also, a quick tip, don’t toss those boozy apples cooking in your mulled wine. Those make a tasty snack.
INSTANT POT MULLED WINE
- Instant Pot
- 1 Bottle Red Wine Cabernet, Shiraz, Malbec, or Merlot
- 4 oz Bourbon sub Brandy, or Rum
- 1 Orange sliced
- 1 Apple thinly sliced
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Mulling Spices
IF YOU DON'T HAVE MULLING SPICES...
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp Whole Cloves
- 1/2 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Orange Peel
- Combine all ingredients (only half of the orange) in the Instant Pot and set to cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
- Carefully turn the steam valve to release all the pressure.
- If you prefer not to have the spices and fruit in your drink, just pour the mixture through a fine strainer, or cheese cloth before serving.
- Serve warm with orange slices, apple slices, and a cinnamon stick. Enjoy!